Sunday, July 22, 2007

Bring me sunshine.........

Every time I sign on to do marshaling for Triathlons or road races, despite weather forecasts, the sun always shines. Even, what I call the middle of the night, at 6.30 am.

Today after rain and more rain all week we had perfect weather for the Winchester Triathlon today.

Swim was done in the swimming pool in stages and then a 40k cycle around north Winchester and lastly 10k run.

I got to write numbers on people again. Triathletes, on the whole are very friendly people and I always get to write on some very impressive muscles. I offered other designs such as dragons and celtic symbols but they opted for just numbers, as I use a waterproof pen it takes a few days to come off.

I then went into Transition 2 area which is where the swimmers morph into cyclists and then runners. It's a busy area and I try to keep an eye on those coming off bikes into the run because they are quite tired by then and get a bit disorientated.

The race went well and smoothly and I had a lot of good chats with the Concept team and the athletes. It's a great way to meet new people. I always feel quite proud of the people I write numbers on as I see them run past. My job is quite easy but the pressure is on the registration team and those doing the results on the computers and Roger (below) who is Mr Concept Sport and organises loads of Triathlons and races around the south of England.

And now to get on with my own training. Next Thursday going to start a new campagne, with a start weight and progressive exercise. This is partly to get as fit as I can before the knee op and also need a bit of a challenge as I feel I have been 'treading water' for a while. Would like to shift some more weight, although that is now become a secondary feature as I am now concentrating on fitness. Hopefully the weight will shift as well.

I have been finding out all about fat cells this week for homework.

Did you know that.............

By about the age of 16-18 the number of fat cells we have is established.

We all have different numbers which is determined by genes and life style.

The number of fat cells can't be reduced by diet or exercise but the fat within the cells can be decreased and the fat cell shrunk.

Fat cells can reproduce..due to obesity....a regular overweight person can have 75 billion fat cells whilst a case of severe obesity someone can have 250-300 billion.

I find anatomy and biology fascinating because it's now relevant. I hated it at school!!

This is my triathlon frisbee

No comments: