Sunday, June 17, 2007

Race For Life Part 1- What A Feeling!!



What a fabulous day!!!

Got up at 6 am feeling quite nervous about doing a Race with thousands of people.

As I walked to the venue my nerves rose a bit as I saw loads of people with number plates on and a sea of pink was making it's way to the park.

There was a short warm up period of aerobic exercises which was good and got us all in the mood. There was also a minute silence to reflect on the people we were running the race for. I dedicated my attempt to my Dad, who was a cross country runner and would be quite chuffed if not a little suprised to see me doing a race, and my Step Dad.


Runners were called forward and the celebration for them started and then the walkers and ME started. The atmosphere was electric and everyone was spurring each other on. I was going to walk the course but found myself jogging bits of the course. I got to the front group of walkers!!!!!


This is Harry in training for the next Race For Life. He's got Aunty Su the Great's medal just to get him used to it!!!


The course snaked around the park and before I knew it. it was finished. The support was great Mum,Paul, Jenny, Harry, Stu and his family were all there cheering me on. It made such a difference and gave me a real lift. I chatted, well kind of more a few words between trying gasp for breath, to people around the course . There were some fantastic stories of how people had come to be there and some of course very sad.


I caught the buzz of the competition as well. I found myself zig-zagging round groups of walkers trying to get ahead. I took notice of Wil's coaching about pacing yourself and managed to Run across the finishing line.

And I GOT A MEDAL....WOW (well everyone did, but for me this was just as valuable as an Olympic gold as for the first time ever I didn't come last ina race, in fact I did a personal best of 45 mins.

Doing it all again next week in Bournemouth...




















4 comments:

Karin said...

Well done Su! :)

Anonymous said...

We are really proud of you. you did amazingly. big hugs and slobbery kisses, Love from Harry and Jenny and Paul

Graeme said...

Yey! Well done!

I'm so jealous of how much weight you've lost. Really impressed at your willpower, good on you!

XXXXX

Anonymous said...

Well done, i have been following your blog for some time now and have heard you on solent.
About 3 months ago i had another think about losing weight and after hearing you on the radio looked up your blog and it has been a constant source of encouragement which was just what i needed!
I have never lost weight before or dieted or exercised so its been quite a turn around, i started at 14st 9lb and am now 12st 3lb!
It would be great to know what encourages you?
Also you are always doing something and the weight must be flying off what weight did you start at and what are you now? What do you eat etc...
Thankyou for your inspiration
Karen (aspkaw@hotmail.com)