Tuesday, February 20, 2007

No surgery needed

I had an interesting comment made to me by a lady who works in Boots the chemist.... 'Have you had surgery, the stomach operation....you have lost loads of weight.......?'
It took me a few seconds to realise that she thought I'd had my stomach stapled, as if that was the only way I could have possibly lost this much weight.
I reassured that I hadn't and that it was just through healthy eating and exercise... She was amazed that it could be done that way.
I was amazed that she was amazed... I suppose it is modern thinking and media. There have been a number of TV programmes about cosmetic surgery and even children of 15 having stomach reducing ops.
I know from a history of yoyo binging, starving and crash dieting what works and what doesn't. I have said the cliche 'I have done every diet and I can't lose weight...' I know and have used all the excuses......but surgery eeek no.....I'm too much of a coward. And I have seen programmes one in particular where a woman had her stomach banded and got a piece of meat stuck in it and was in agony and has now put on even more weight because she is eating bad
ly and liquidising sweets and high fat stuff and doing no exercise.... lot of pain for nothing.
Other programmes I have watched, where I might have sympathy for surgery were people had got to such a state that they couldn't move off their beds... people 30-60 stone in weight. Their lives are in danger but the only choice that they can see is to have a further life threatening operation.
I got to 26st 10 and I was in a dangerous position I did consider whether it was going to surgery but I hate hospitals and was too scared.
You just have to break the cycle in some way. I was very lucky to get really good advice and help.
It has to be eating healthily and using those calories in good exercise....

But I guess it's easy to see things more clearly when you've lost a few stone

OK END OF RANT
Didn't get the job at the surgery just as well considering what I have just written!!!! I thought the interview went well but wasn't to be...so onwards and upwards!!!

No comments: