Thursday, July 20, 2006


I had an amazing day at the Spa yesterday. I met Claire and litle Joe (son of) at the train station and they gave me a lift to New Manor Park. Claire had her session first. It is so cool that she can go straight on to the Cross Work Machine and warm up. To me that is one of the machines yet to be conquered. I warmed up with a short walk on the treadmill and then went for a swim .(my own version of the biathlon!!) . Went back into the gym and did a few more hundred miles on the treadmill, although I have never worked out kilometers but it seems a 100 miles is about 2K !!!!
Had a few problems with the knee again but Wil can always create a way round it. I've noticed my left arm and leg seem to be on a different workout from the rest of me and often try to go their own way. So another lesson learned , it's really important to concentrate on what your body is doing as well try to make it do it.


We then went up into one of the studios to do some coordination work. Walking through a ladder with different rhythms and movements on the floor. Well if I don't get the hang of that I could audition for a west end musical. It concentrates on rhythm and feels almost like tap dancing.

At the end of the session we had a chat about healthy eating. Going to really try and crack this one. There are so many chemicals to preserve, flavour and colour food it can't be good. I don't like tea and coffee so I drink loads of water and squash. Looked on the squash bottle the ingredients...not good... full of E numbers, preservatives, colours, even if it does help you win Wimbledon !!

The next part of the day was spent with Ali giving me a partial Deep Tissue Massage.
Being a bit embarrassed about my body and never having had a massage before I was slightly nervous, but she was lovley and put me at ease straight away. She found my back muscles and got the blood flowing through them and loosened some things. I was quite tense in some places and that is partially due to bad posture which I have alot of work to do on. When she had finished I felt like I was floating. Lovely expereince!!

Then back to the water . I'm pretty sure that my feet and hands are gradually becoming webbed, and the tail is coming on nicely. I will soon be ready to be realeased into the sea. I feel so at home in the water. Although I did spend the vast majority of this time in the hydro pool.

I got a lift back with a real live athlete who was coming to Winchester to do a 5k race. Wil!!

Three times around the tourist part of the city and then into the Abbey Grounds to finish. It was so exciting. There were hundreds of runners of all different types from the people who looked like they had run in the original Olympics, some who were just out for a bit of exercise, those who had no intention going any faster then a brisk walk and some serious runners. The atmosphere was lovely I sat next to a couple in their mid 50's who were having a go. The woman said that 3 years ago she cried and was sick when her husband made her run 100 metres now they do endurance runs together. Another inspiring story.

Wil was so fast..I wasn't sure of his finishing time but it was about 16-17 minutes. I do, what I think is a fast walk which 4k per hour. He did 5k in about16 mins

Well done Wil, very proud of you!!

I held the water!!!!



No comments: