Saturday, July 22, 2006

Gates and Giraffes


Really have become more aware of posture. I feel like I'm pulling myself up out of my stomach, stretching up my neck. I think I beginning to take on the charateristics of a giraffe. It is so easy to slump on a stool or chair. And then I suddenly remember and sit up staright.

I've just co
me back from what I call the 5 Gates of Winchester Walk. It's more or less tracing the roads that mark the old city walls. It's about 2 and a half miles. It takes in the sites of North Gate, West Gate then Southgate, down to Kings Gate, around Winchester Cathedral, through Abbey Gardens to the site of the East Gate.

It's a lovely walk. Iwalked down to the Kings Gate, which is a gentle hill, I feel really self- conscious running in the street so I thought I would try and disguise what I was doing. As the hill got a bit steeper I had a little trot. Then I did a bit more, only a few steps. Then a car drew up beside me and it was some friends... 'Go for it Su!!' one of them shouted. A bit embarrassed but secretly smiling on the inside I walked briskly till I was out of sight. I will try some more later. I have never been able to run freely . It must be so good, maybe one day, at the moment i'm worried about the pressure on my knees. Need too build up slowly to that goal!!

In my quest to eat as healthily as I can I have been thinking of alternatives to flavoured and processed quorn. I find it quite hard, as a vegetarian (almost vegan), to find protein foods.
Wil recommended trying Quinoa (Keen Wah) . Quinoa is a bit like cous cous but it is a seed and contains essential amino acids and is high in protein. See
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa. So I had a go at making a dinner with it.

Su's Dinner
Rinse half a cup Quinoa in water (the seed has a natural coating of a chemical which deters insects and is a bit bitter if not rinsed off) .

Boil 1 cup of water and then put the Quinoa in simmer until the seed splits and looks slightly opaque. (about 10 mins)

Chop Onions, Red Peppers, Mushrooms, Courgettes and water fry (no fat but you could use olive oil) . Cook till just going soft


Add tomato puree , 2 pinches of ground ginger, soy sauce to taste .

Add a tin of chickpeas and the cooked Quinoa with it's own water.

leave for about 15 mins till the Quinoa has soaked up the liquid heat up again and add roughly torn basil leaves.

Tis Yummy and very healthy!!


Monday's weigh in is looming. I don't know for certain that I have lost weight as I left my scales at the studios, but I think I ought to have, I feel like I have. I feel so much better on the inside. Lots of people said they will be listening in, no pressure then!! LOL



Meanwhile here is a puzzle for you to try to see how your brain works...................

2 comments:

Karin said...

Glad you're still making progress, Polly.

My brain had no conflict. Does that mean my right half is missing?

Graeme said...

Lol karin. I can do that one, but I cheat...take off my glasses, then I can't actually see the words, only the colour hehehe ;)

Glad you're still working hard at this Su!