Sunday, November 19, 2006


What an amazing day I've had today. I went to watch Wil run in the Gosport Half Marathon. Wil's mum ('marathon Mum') came too. She is a very experienced sports competition watcher. Wil has a sister who was doing a Duathalon today and other members of the family who are also into racing.
There was a buzz in the hall as the runners registered and changed into their running gear. It was so exciting to be in amongst it all. Wil suggested that I did one lap of the two lap course, so I set off a bit earlier to get a head start.


On my way out to find a loo I asked an innocent bystander ''do you know where the loos are?" I said it three times as he didn't understand me. Then I said it really slowly "Do you know where the LOOS are", suddenly he twigged...he thought I was saying to him "you're a loser!!!"...so funny . The thought of going up to a runner and saying "You're a loser" before they had even stepped onto the starting line.

Wil's mum also went for a walk along the side of the sea, which was beautiful.
I walked for just under 2 miles before I saw the car with the big clock on the top closely followed by the lead runners. I knew Wil would be in the front group so I stood till they came past and clapped and took photos (hopefully some will appear on the blog at a later date)
I carried on with my walk dodging runners , stopping every now and then to clap and shout encouraging things.
When I got to the bridge Gorgeous Stu gave me a call on the mobile to talk over stuff which was really helpful and encouraging, if not slightly surreal because I was surrounded by people doing heavy breathing and wearing lycra.

People of all ages and sizes were mid and in the latter part of the race. I got a real yearning to get in there and have a go but I need to do it slowly -
but wouldn't it be fantastic for the next year's race to be a goal.

This is Wil running it isn't, but just imagine it's Gosport and wearing Votwo strip


I had my Black gear of cleverly concealed sports wear in disguise as leggings, T shirt and skirt. As I walked around the course I must have looked as if I was part of the event cos a few people clapped ME!!!! Then Wil past me again on the second lap, it was quite warm,the sun was really strong and the wind got blowy towards the end. It was a good walk unlike many of the runners when you're walking you take in some of the sites. I went past the Royal Haslar Hospital and saw the Spinnaker Tower.

I hour 17 minutes and 28 seconds was Wil's time which is amazing for 13 miles.
I did just over 1 hour 30 for walking 7 miles. Just starting though!!!!!

Loved every minute of it
Well done Wil

On the radio tomorrow to do the long awaited Cholesterol test
It will be good to see if it's the same as last time as I have upped the seed and nut intake. It'll also be lovely to see the Radio Solent Breakfast show crew again

1 comment:

Evo1 said...

Here's one to try. Go up to one of the runners and say, " do you know you're a loser?" Then when they ask you to repeat it, say it again, and then, just before they hit you, say, "I said, "do you know where the LOOS are?""

I shall just have to give that a go?

1h30 has to be a good 7 mile walk time doesnt it? Pretty brisk.