Friday, August 11, 2006

Reach For The Stars




I am going to feature a few people that have been an inspiration in their journey to a healthy life style. If you are stuck in a rut or finding it difficult to get fitter, I find the best way is to get people around you who will support and inspire or read stories of those, who against the odds sometimes have changed their lives.

Wil Newbery

Our Personal Trainer and Fitness Expert at New Park Manor, Brockenhurst. Also in the British Triathlon Team

Were you interested in sports at school?
Yeah, ever since I was tiny I have been playing sport. At school I was lucky to have all the facilities available. We used to play sport everyday. I remember the first time I played rugby I ended up with a black eye because I ran into the goal post! I was captain of the football, cricket and hockey teams when I left prep school. I never liked running or swimming much though! I bumped into my old P.E teacher the other day and told him what I was doing – “But you can’t swim” was all he said!

What Degree did you do at Bristol and were there opportunities for you to do sports there.
I did an HND in Business and Finance at Bristol West of England Uni. I wasn’t that academic, so I struggled on the course. But again I played lots of sport. Mainly Hockey….I played in the National League for half a season before I gave up. I stopped enjoying it. I need to enjoy what I do!

You have done the London Marathon, what or who inspired you to do it?
My brother in law did the marathon when I was doing a ski season in France. I took a liking to alcohol out there and when I came back I was looking to get fit. A few too many beers in the pub and a conversation about how if he can do it anyone can and I was signed up…..the first run I did was about 2 miles, which took me half an hour and included a 10 minute break half way!

How did you get into doing Triathlon Events?
After I did the marathon I was getting bored with just running, and picked up a few niggling injuries. I had just started a new job where my boss did triathlons. He lent me a bike and some goggles and said I should give it a go! I did. The first event I didn’t really like so I put it on the back burner for the winter. But I needed to get fit, and took it up again. That was in 2004

You are in the British Triathlon Team competing in Switzerland in September, how are you preparing for that?
Lots of running, swimming and cycling! I have been training for this event since November last year. My first task was to find a coach that I trust and who could get the best from me. From there on in it has been early mornings, late nights. Cycling in the cold and wet, wind and sun.

How did you train as a Personal Trainer?
I had a job in marketing, which I was rubbish at! I saw an advert in a fitness magazine for a personal training course. I phoned them up and was booked in to do it a month later. To say it has changed my life is an understatement! It was an intensive 3 month course. But it just scratched the surface. Since then I have been trying to keep up to date with modern fitness fads and fashions! Which is very hard! All the celebrities are doing some strange diets and exercises which people want to know about and do…..best thing to do is keep it simple!

Do you think diet is important as well as exercise?
Yes! The 2 go hand in hand. You wouldn’t put diesel into a Ferrari would you? The human body is a complex machine…..fuel it right and it will work for a long time! Supplements are an excellent way of making sure you are getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. Even organic food might not have all the correct amount of nutrients in.

If you had a few words to inspire people to get fitter what would you say?
Take small steps, set realistic goals, get support from your friends and family by telling them what you are setting out to do.

Aim for the moon, even if you miss you’ll end up hitting the stars!

No comments: