Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Treadmills and Cyberman

Yay had another fab gym session yesterday. And I met Claire again, who is in our group of Daisy Dieters. She is doing really well.

My balance is getting better, less damage to the gym, (LOL)!!! Warmed up on the treadmill, which is cool cos that in itself would have 'done me in' a while ago and now it is a warm up for further exercise. I get bit frustrated because my knee won't allow me to do some of the exercises but that could become a lot easier when I have lost more weight. Still not able to burst the bouncy ball. Not sure of the technical terms but stood opposite a machine and pulled a handlebar thing with a cord that was weighted in a squat position, pulling up to the stomach and slowly releasing. Could really feel neck and top of the arm muscles working. At the end of the session it was back on the treadmill with holding weights of 2k in each hand. It took a while to feel steady without holding onto the sides, a few wobbly moments, but got a rhythm going.
I remember Russell T Davies who directs Dr. Who saying that the actors who played the Cybermen (she said hiding behind the sofa), went through rigorous training on how to walk rhythmically and constantly to look more robotic. When I go on my walks I tend to walk like a Cyberman and mothers pull their children out of the way and old ladies pick up their skirts and run for shop doorways. I must look a frightening sight hot, red faced, a determined look, hair all over the place and walking like a Cyberman
!!!

It's a good sign because yesterday I was talking about achievable goals and the future to Wil . He was, as ever, so encouraging. I thought at the beginning when they said I had a 12 week run at a gym/spa that I would be counting the days off before the ordeal was over. Now I am well and truly hooked. The old cliche I wish I had done this when I was younger haunts me, but I'm doing it now. I'm even looking up where races are to watch on the internet. Found this quote on a web site
"To dream anything that you want to dream,that is the beauty of the human mind,
To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will'
To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed." Bernard Edmonds

It was not that long ago when my best friend and I would go to Pizza Hut and have a full meal there just to fill in time or as a snack and then go and eat a 'proper meal' in the evening. Now he has done extremely well on his fitness programme he has lost over 4 stone and goes to a gym 3 times a week. Another amazing achievement story .

Even three weeks ago I would get home from work feeling horribly tired, headachy and negative. Stuff myself with cakes(even if they were Weight watchers!), crisps and bread and watch TV all night. Now I'm feeling so much more positive and I want to get up and go. I still have to lug around a lot of weight and I am feeling it in this heat. When I look in shop windows and see myself I really think I should be thin now (patience isn't a thing that comes easily to me). It's going to be a long haul but worth it and I am actually looking forward to it.


1 comment:

Karin said...

Glad you're starting to feel the benefit. :0)