Sunday, July 16, 2006

She'll be coming round the mountain!!

Today I walked up the mountain known as St Catherines Hill in Winchester. As you can see it is one of the most beautiful places in Hampshire. The walk to the bottom of the hill is about 2 miles from my house and then the climb is quite steep to start with then you go through a lovely shaded tunnel of trees as you walk along the side of the hill and then a quite steep climb up steps.

I decided there was no shame in having rests along the way. And it was interesting to see children and grannies walk past me!!!It was very hot. I eventually got to the top where there is a small wooded area. I sat in the shade for half an hour but the flies began to collect. They must have mistaken me for a carcas although it was an understanable mistake!!

Walking home was the hardest. I had no option as there was no transport aids. I had to walk through town looking like I had just come out the Arabian Desert, usual shade of scarlet.I stuck the headphones on and tried to forget about how I must have looked. Drank one and a half itres of water when I got home!!!

I quite like doing endurance walks, which isn't too far for me at the moment, I don't think I'm made for speed. I was greatly inspired by watching the progamme about David Walliams (Little Britain) swimming the channel for Sports Relief. His determination was set by what he had seen on a trip to an African orphanage. He trained for nine months and he swam the channel. Stories like that move me a lot. Going against the odds and making an effort to acheive something.


1 comment:

Karin said...

Well done, Polly. I just went for a gentle stroll along a canal on Saturday.

Hope you're keeping up the good work.