Monday, April 28, 2008

Helta Skelta Bike Ride


Following a morning of thunder storms and doing Sun dances on the roof I was determined to go for the long bike ride planned on my programme.
So to kill 2 birds with one stone I had also planned to meet 2 old work colleagues in Stockbridge so I cycled there and back about 18 miles, not too bad for first long ride on Hamish.
Cyclists from this area will know the road really well for it's hills. I only got off twice and fell off once trying to do a hill start!!!
The great thing is with this road's hills is that 'what goes up must come down!'. I free wheeled down some steep hills with one eye open and hoping for the best. But it is the best fun ever the 'rush' is great. I heard Will's words in my ear 'cycling is all about anticipation, anticipating the next move and the next gears'. When I got to nearly the bottom of the hill i put Hamish on a high gear and peddled for all my worth to see if I could get the momentum to get up the other side. Mostly it worked but changing gears going up steep hills is not easy so I got to work that one out.
There were some serious cyclists out in their full gear and I felt quite chuffed when they gave me the nod and acknowledged me as a 'trier'

I got to Stockbridge and was welcomed with French flags. After realising that I hadn't closed my eyes too long and ended up in the Tour De France, I soon took in the smells of the French market.
I walked past rows of stalls selling biscuits, sweets, olives, wierd looking sausages and crepes...... eating my apple!!

I had a lovely time with Susan and Christine and caught up on all their news and shared mine.

I have a new job - after working back in the book shop for a few weeks and having/recovering from the flu, I have been given a job in a sports shop.

If I think 3 years ago, me working in a sports shop or even going in one would have just not been on the cards. How life has changed.
In the middle of updating my story, and it is a great reminder where I have come from but also, now I have so many challenges, opportunities, and ideas for the future.....exciting eh!
It's strange, but recently a lot of photos of me when I was bigger seem to have come to light. I found some from when I was at Uni yesterday and they are horendous. I f I can work it out I'll put them on next post.

2 comments:

Freedom Bound said...

you get my yellow jersey every time!

SOOBEE... said...

Merci!!