Friday, October 19, 2007

At last the day came for the knee op. Got to the hospital courtesy of the Paulmobile. I managed to stop shaking enough to sign myself in and settle in my posh room
Had lots of different people coming in and out doing various tests. Had a general question time with a nurse with a black sense of humour, rubbing her hands together when she realised I was a newbie to hospitals. Another nurse came to do an E.C.G on me and after working out how it works and having to go and find some more paper she eventually told me I was still alive and that my reading was ok.
Then the Anaethetist came (not much of sense of humour) did some tests and more questions.
Then the surgeon came to draw on me. I said it was a work of art and he should sign it, so he did!!
Then a charming physio came to give me a crash course on how to use crutches and exercises to do.
Then a nurse to explain about dressings.
Then another nurse came to take me down to the operating theatre.
I went into a small room which I thought was the operating theatre but it was the anaesthetic room. Didn't get to see the operating theatre. There was a nice man called Steve who said I could chose which dream I wanted by the cocktail of drugs they put in!!! By then I was so tired I just wanted a good sleep anyway so I was quite calm.
I talked to Steve for a little then he put a mask on me.........then I asked a nurse if I had had my op...I could feel them taking my blood pressure...all done
I felt fine. They wheeled me back to the my room

Had a 6 hour wait. My mood went from being really nervous to forgetting why I was there because I got involved in watching television... watching England v Russia on Sky Sport.I went down to the operating theatre just as it was starting and was back in my room just before the sorry end!

The before and after photos. Looks a lot tidier. Really wierd being able to see inside

This was the the bit of bone floating inside my knee joint. The surgeon was really proud to give it to me in a little jar. Wasn't sure if I really wanted it, but I was quite surprised at it's colour.

Had a try with crutches and found it easier with out
The surgeon said to take it easy and not go mad because I seemed to be doing really well
I have to say a big thank you to Jenny, my niece and Andrew, my nephew they stayed around for the whole day and stopped me from running away and entertained and reassured me. Bless em

No comments: