Saturday, September 09, 2006

I Got an ..itis


Yesterday I woke up with an Alien forming in my hand. When I got off the train on Thursday there was a slight twinge in the joint under my middle finger. Thought it was just a little ache. Friday morning there was a lump the size of a small egg. I couldn't clench my fist.
Got to work after an interesting time trying to get dressed and was advised to go the doctor.
But that would be 3 times in three months and previous to that I hadn't seen a doctor for years, I don't mind these days!!
So I trotted off to the doctors to see the duty nurse and she was suitably impressed with my lump and called in the duty doctor who was also impressed. So I didn't feel a fraud and it was worth bothering.

The tendon had swollen up and I had Tendonitis.
No amputation then!
Not sure when it happened but it was just a bit of extra strain. The good news is that it doesn't need to stop me doing anything it's just a little painful.
The swelling has gone down a lot now.

It's time to put the fire service on alert as I am going to attempt to do the seaweed again tonight. Cous cous with roast veg with flaked seaweed (hopefully not charcoal this time) on top, and Chickpea Burgersl!!!!
A healthier snack than crisps if you have time, drain a tin of chickpeas soak up extra moisture by putting on a kitchen towel. Place chickpeas in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of dried herbs. Stir softly so chick peas are coated. Place on a baking tray and put into a medium heat oven for 20 mins (some may need longer, just keep an eye on them) until crispy.
Season with pepper or chilli powder and herbs.

Recipe: Chickpea Burgers

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1½ c onions, minced
garlic optional
ground cumin
3 carrots, finely chopped
2 tins drained chickpeas
1½ Tablespoon peanut butter
¼ c parsleychopped or I tablespoon dried
1/3 cup white flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
juice from ½ lemon

Method
Heat 1 T of oil and sauté the onions over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, and carrot and sauté for two more minutes.
Transfer to large bowl or food processor and add the chickpeas. Mash or process until mushy. Stir in peanut butter and parsley.
Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in the small bowl, then stir into chickpeas.
Flour your hands, shape mixture into four patties, and dust them with flour.
Fry in 1 T oil over medium-low heat for 1 minute, until just beginning to brown. Flip, fry 2 minutes, flip again, and fry 1 one minute (2 minutes total per side). Splash with a bit of lemon juice and serve.




1 comment:

Karin said...

Sorry to hear about your '-itis', Daisy. Hope it recovers well.

Have you tried the chick pea burgers? Can you honestly say they are delicious? I've still got a couple of tins of chick peas in the cupboard I got Mat for while we were away, so it could be a good way to use them up.