Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Heel to Heal


Just had some amazing thunder storms in Winchester.

This week I have come to the first major physical hurdle in my exercise programme I have discovered the Archilles Tendon. Through no ones fault but my own I had heel that was tender for the last few days. Determined not to let it stop me I was stupid and did extra long walks, trying to walk off the pain, which I thought might just be my muscles getting used to exercise.

I forget that I am carrying the weight of another person on me and going from no exercise to pushing myself really hard has taken it's toll. Gym sessions are very well supervised by Wil but it's when I'm out on my own I want to go, literally, that extra mile.I wanted to ignore it and hoped it would go away, which so unwise in sports injuries.

Last night I was due to have a session with Wil in the gym and felt I should tell him. After some tests and consultation he wisely judged that this heel needs rest to get back into shape. We had a really good chat about nutrition and ways to exercise without straining the heel while it's on the mend. Swimming is the best as everything is supported
.
I felt a bit down because I have a tendancy to want to run before I can walk, literally. It is so frustrating. Ilove doing the walks and the gym, but if I want to do more better look after the euipment. Hopefully we'll be ok for Fridays session.

Going to be brave and go into a Sports Shop tomorrow to look at trainers. Mine are very old and may have contributed to the problem.

BALL ALERT!!

I have bought my self a Gym Ball, got the right size this time. Just needs to be blown up. I have alerted all security services and the National Forces just incase I'm picked up on Radar.


I was watching the 'You are What You Eat' DVD. Dr Gillian MMcKieth takes her unhealthy victims to a room where spread out on a table is all the fat/sugar laden food that they eat in a week. It was interesting to see that the over all colour of these foods is brown. In contrast she then shows them what they will be eating and it's so colourful it takes their breath away. I've been inspired by this and have started to try and bring more colour in to meals. Tonights meal was quite unusual but very colourful and tasted lovely.

Su's Dinner
Cut a Galia Melon in half and scoop out the seed. Cut out some of the flesh roughly into cubes. Slice a small piece off the melon half's side so it will sit up like a dish.

Cut up into about 1" square cubes or thick slices, Courgettes, Onions, Chestnut Mushrooms
red, green and yellow peppers and melon flesh
Mix together a small amount of Olive oil, Balsamic vinegar and a teaspoon of honey add veg pieces so they are very lightly coated. (keep some of this sauce for later)
Put veg on a roasting tray and roast on a high heat for 10-15 mins
Mix into veg once roasted a handful of sprouting beans, pumpkin seeds, raisins (or grapes) and pile into the half melon.
Pour over the left over sauce.
Serve with watercress or mixed leaves.

It is lovely and has so many flavours and is very colourful. This kind of food you might expect to eat on holiday or in hotels but there is no reason why we can't do it ourselves





3 comments:

Karin said...

Do take care of that heel, Su. I damaged something in my foot a few years ago and couldn't walk for months, which is when some of the extra weight piled on. I stupidly didn't even think of going to the doctor - there was so much going on in my life then.

I got out of good habits and got unfit.

Then there was the more recent problem with my heel, which wasn't the achilles tendon, so different from your problem. I did go to the doctor for that and was sent for physiotherapy, which helped a lot, but over a year later I still have to be careful of what shoes I wear and walking on level ground. It is getting better gradually.

If your foot isn't better soon see a doctor and walk it back to fitness gradually.

One thing I've learnt is that sudden excessive spurts of exercise when one isn't used to it, can make things worse in the long run.

In my case now I need to get used to regular amounts of reasonable exercise. Although over the last couple of years I have noticed a gradual improvement - probably needs to be a bit less gradual now. I can do more gardening than I could just two years ago, so I hope to take advantage of that this autumn.

Freedom Bound said...

Not as colourful, but very scrummy, and may convert you to chickpeas!

Spicy chickpea casserole

This recipe tastes better if you make it up in advance to allow all the flavours to combine and then simply reheat it before serving.

8oz (225g) [dry weight] chickpeas, soaked overnight
or 2 x 400g tins of chickpeas
1 medium onion, chopped
1 x 1 4oz (400g) can chopped tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cubes
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 heaped teaspoons cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
8oz (225g) mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Fast-boil the soaked chickpeas for 10 minutes, then simmer for a further one hour until fairly soft. When the chickpeas are almost cooked, drain them, then rinse with boiling water. Or open the tinned chickpeas and drain!

Place the onion and tomatoes into a medium saucepan with the stock cube. Add the coriander, cumin, chilli and season with salt and black pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.

Stir the chickpeas into the tomato and spice mixture. Add the mushrooms and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Season well with salt and black pepper. Add the fresh coriander.



Weight Watchers:
with Dry chickpeas – 10 points total
with Tinned chickpeas – 8 points total

Serves 3

Graeme said...

*sighs* I so wish I could cook